GD427 in action

GD427 in action

Monday 18 June 2012

Column shroud

I finished fitting the column shroud this evening. After cutting the holes in the aluminium earlier I stuck the leather on and cut out the clearance holes for the ignition barrel and indicator/wiper stalks.



There's a trick to making a neat job around the ignition barrel which involves removing it from the column by turning the key to position 1 and inserting a thin tool into a hole at the front.



This causes the barrel to pop out



You can then place the shroud over the column and cut the leather slightly smaller than the outside edge of the hole so that when you place the barrel back in it traps the leather.



Before refitting the barrel you have to push down on a small u shape part within the barrel until it clicks, then when you push the barrel back in it should click twice before it's back in position.



I followed these directions from other blog sites and found it all pretty straight forward. Those directions came with a warning which I feel is only fair to pass on... once the mechanism is removed from the barrel DO NOT TURN THE KEY AND DO NOT ROTATE THE STEERING COLUMN. Don't know why but I thought I'd heed the warning and not have to find out.

I also fitted the lever which controls the tilt mechanism to adjust for comfort. I used a punch to make a hole in the leather and then a small grommet to tidy it up. I've got some more stainless stalks which replace the plastic ones for the indicators and wiper but that's a job for another day.



All finished,

2 comments:

Steve Hughes said...

Ryan,

Do you have any diagrams of the column wiring configuration. Just received my column and stalks and they have lots of spade connections that I have to identify.

Steve

Ryan said...

Hi Steve,

I did get a basic diagram from GD, I'll see if I can post it up on the blog.

Just got to remember how to do it :-)

Ryan