GD427 in action

GD427 in action

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Number plate bar

Today's job was the number plate bar. This fits across the opening in the nose and whilst used to mount the number plate, it also serves to fill this space and keep Mr IVA happy as without this, it's an IVA fail. The bar is made of stainless steel and simply bolts onto the inner wings via a L shape bracket on either side. I also have an "under tray" to bolt in which closes this area from beneath and stiffens the whole thing up.

First, I clamped the bar into position to gauge it's height in the opening and how far it should be set back from the nose. I used masking tape to mark a horizontal line for comparison but in the end just used the radiator core behind it for reference.



Once I was happy it was level (with the radiator as least) I drilled the holes and bolted it in. Finding what's level has always been a challenge with this build as I've not checked my floor is level and even if it was, I'm not convinced a fibreglass body shell would be exactly level or even symmetrical. That said, I haven't found anything that's concerned me and reading what people have faced with other manufacturers, I've been extremely pleased. I did need to space the bar off the inner wings just a little with some washers. I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be a little short to pull the inner wings in or to allow for the mounting brackets of the front over-riders where fitted. In any case, it's set where I want it and I can always remove the washers (two each side) or change the mounting points slightly if I need to at a later date.

No comments: