GD427 in action

GD427 in action

Sunday 11 July 2010

Bonnet Locks Finished

Quick update.. Cut the slots into the bulkhead to take the bonnet locks and repaired a few scratches with gelcoat. Still need to finish the edge in places but otherwise the bonnet is now finished and just needs polishing. I'm going to leave that for the time being and keep to my plan to trial fit all components and then take them all off again before polishing the body. Once that's finished, the parts can all go back on and be fitted permanently.

Everything seemed to take a long time today and I don't feel I've got much to show for it. One thing I have done this week is order the chassis. I'm also shopping for an engine and gearbox. When that lot arrives there should be some major advancement in a very short space of time. I've gone for the "Euro" option which comes as a rolling chassis with all the suspension components, hubs, drive shafts, diff etc already bolted in place . The plan will be to bolt engine, gearbox, exhaust and a few other bits onto the chassis and then drop the body straight on. I've still got a long list of jobs to finish before hand but I'm really quite excited !

3 comments:

Cobra Rob said...

Euro chassis will save a lot of time and hunting for parts

Admin said...

Hi Ryan.

I am building a GD and fitting bonnet catches like you, rather than handles. How do you lift the bonnet? Have you fixed any kind of spring mechanism to initially lift it?

I hope you don't mind but I have linked to your blog from mine (dalescobra.blogspot).

Regards

Dale

Ryan said...

Hi Dale,

This was always a bit of a dilemma for me, great idea using some kind of spring catch. I think I'd be worried about the constant pressure when closed potentially stressing the GRP but you could probably find a way round it. I guess it wouldn't need a lot of pressure.

Personally, I used the front of the scoop to lift the bonnet just enough to get my fingers under the rear edge and then lifted it from there.

Best of luck with the build.

Ryan